Saturday, April 21, 2012

Progoff, Marie, et. al.

I have remained loyal to Progoff all these years, and I've tried to ignore my suspicion that his method might not be the best one for the atmoshpere of this century. Personally, I respond best to Progoff's method, in the workshop setting, but I know that most people would not want or be able to devote the time and attention needed to attend workshops.

In the past, I've perused the practices of contemporary leaders in journal practice, specifically Kathleen Adams and James Pennebaker. I am impressed, probably because I detect strains of Progoff's theories threading through the work of these leading journal writers. I considered using Adam's method instead of Progoff's method, with respect to how I might enter the field of conducting journal workshops. Jon talked me out of it. He commands complete loyalty, and I understand that. The Intensive Journal offers the most benefit in terms of non-analytic pschological work, but the newer methods are more accessible.

If I blast through bedrock, will I discover that I no longer really want to offer The Intensive Journal, but another one, or perhaps craft my own method? Will this realization stress me even more than the familiar possibility that I may not be as good as I'd expected in offering Progoff's method?

The only way to get the answer is to take the ride. I will continue to survey the field of journal writing for personal growth. One sure conclusion is that I will not be ready to enter the field in a public way until after retirement. I admit and embrace that my good mental health hinges upon keeping my commitments somewhat flexible, and my schedule full of free time in which to do my personal reading and writing. I am who I am-- a person who needs lots of private time in which to read and write according to the needs of my nature.

I will still use this blog to explore publically the ways in which Progoff's method interacts with my life, to work out my relationship with The Intensive Journal, and to explore the ideas of Carl Jung, from which Progoff drew much inspiration for his Intensive Journal. I will also remain open to the ideas of Adams, Pennebaker, and others who draw upon the work of Progoff, and/or who duplicate his findings through academic research.

No comments: